An elegant, translucent hue of Ruby red more reminiscent of great Burgundy than Syrah, or as with some Brunelli, Argentine Malbec. And that is a beautiful thing, at least in my books. A wonderfully expressive nose for its youth; though not in any bombastic fashion. Rather clean, classic, and generously aromatic for a youngster. The snap of Cassia bark leads to an almost potpourri-esque dried floral bouquet. Green herbal tones of rosemary and sage underpin the crunchy sour cherries, merely hinting at the wonderfully autumnal forest floor which lies beneath. A tiny spicy balsamico note couples with the ever so light kiss of oak providing nothing more than the subtle mortar between the bricks of this beauty’s refined structure.
On the palate, she’s certainly got a long way to go. Fairly reticent, closed and tannic. At the moment its general astringency conceals what the nose has so boastfully promised, but the patient shall be dually rewarded with this one. Weight is medium, its structure is firm, tannins are gripping yet the overall acidity of the wine leaves the palate pleasantly whetted rather than assailed. The texture is like a warm blanket on the palate, and its roasty, almost crackling fireplace-like finish lingers for well over a minute on the palate.
This is the style of Brunello which I find to be amongst the most authentic. Sangiovese the way it was meant to be; Refined with a regal elegance despite its rustic upbringing. An unwavering structure for ageing without forsaking its clarity and refreshing drinkability as well. Though young and somewhat discombobulated, this is a fair bit of brilliance in the making. Harmony pure, classic re-defined. To the collectors out there, it will be a joy to watch this one come of age, and those willing to stick around will enjoy a handsome return on their investment with another 12-15 years time.
Autor: Justin Leone
- VARIETY Sangiovese
- NAME OF VINEYARD Piaggione Vineyard / Teatro Vineyard
- YIELD PER HECTARE 45 hl / 1,189 gallons
- NUMBER OF BOTTLES PRODUCED 8,000
- CONTAINERS Inox
- SELECTED YIESTS No
- TEMPERATURE OF FERMENTATION 30 ° C / 86 F
- MACERATION 18 gg.
- PRESSING OF MARC Hydraulic press
- MALOLACTIC FERMENTATION Yes
- CONTAINERS 5 hl / 132 gallons Allier | 10 - 20 hl / 264 - 528 gallons French barrels | 40 hl / 1,057 gallons Slavonian Barrels
- DURATION 3 Years
- CLARIFICATION No
- FILTERING No
- AGING IN BOTTLE 8 months
- ALCOHOL VOLUME 14.5
- TOTAL ACIDITY (g/l) 5.00
- NET VOLATILE ACIDITY (g/l) 0.79
- PH 3.60
- TOTAL SULPHUR DIOXIDE (mg/l) 68.00
- FREE SULPHUR DIOXIDE (mg/l) 19.00
- NET DRY EXTRACT (g/l) 27.9
- TOTAL POLYPHENOLS (mg/l) 2685
- VISUAL TEST Garnet red, mid intensity
- SMELLING TEST Scents of red fruits and flowers (roses), spices (cinnamon). Harmony and finesse
- TASTING TEST Macerated cherries and ripened red fruits, spices and aromatic herbs. Smooth and silky tannins. Long and persistant, perfect balance and elegance